Friday, October 1, 2010

The Search for Bread

Once in a while I do enjoy bread and before discovering my food allergies, I thought I was making some pretty healthy choices. I always opted for whole wheat over white and most of the time chose sprouted over whole wheat. Now what? 


Sprouted breads contain wheat, so they aren't an option. At least not for the next 5 weeks. Some of the wheat-free and gluten-free breads have pineapple juice concentrate in them. Many contain eggs and soy. 


I have to admit, it can be confusing when reading ingredients in some of these breads. I mean what could possibly sound healthier (and less tasty) than 'organic sprouted soy and organic sprouted wheat'?


But I guess I just have to stop thinking in terms of health-foods. I am learning that one-size does not fit all and what's healthy for you, may be poison to me and visa versa. Yeah, I know that sounds dramatic. Carrots aren't going to kill me are they? Well maybe not anytime soon.


But if I am lucky enough to know which foods are making me sick and tired and I don't make an effort to avoid them, doesn't that make me culpable? After all, it's only 6 weeks.That's how long the Avoidance Phase of this protocol is. After that comes the Challenge Phase, where I introduce one allergic food back into my diet once every four days. Then I'll know what food causes what symptom. But that's five weeks away.


In the meantime, I continue my search for the right bread. I found a wheat-free white rye. Nope. There is a white rice bread, but been there-done that. I am not a fan. Like most of these types of breads, rice bread is better toasted. But the odor that wafts up from the toaster resembles something like rotten eggs and feet.


Now here's something interesting; Millet bread. What the heck is a millet? I found this explanation online: 'Millet is a collective term for a variety of grasses that produce small, rounded seeds that are harvested for food. These grasses are also called the millets, and there are five varieties in commercial production: browntop, foxtail, (huh?) pearl, proso, and barnyard (what?). Millet originated in Africa over 4,000 years ago and it still forms a crucial staple today. Millet is also widely grown across much of southern Asia and is one of the world's major grain crops.' 
Where have I been? I never heard of it.


Ok so I found some at the health food store for $6 a loaf. I know. I figure, if I don't like it, I can always use it as currency. I brought some home and tried it. The consistency is a little weird. Have you ever chewed on a rubber tire? Me neither, but I imagine it would be about the same kind of experience. I popped a couple slices in the toaster and braced myself. Thankfully, no rice-bread type of odor. In fact no odor at all and it is much better toasted. It's actually pretty good.


If you decide to try some, I must warn you though, it is a little dense. If you have back issues, don't try to lift a whole loaf by yourself and unless you wear steel-toed shoes, don't accidentally drop a loaf on your foot. Just sayin.

1 comment:

  1. Audrey .... you're such a card. "Barn yard" -- don't eat any cow pies (I think that's what they call them, isn't it?). Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete