Friday, October 15, 2010

Labels

Since junior high school I have had a love/hate relationship with labels. Labels like Jocks, Geeks and Losers can feel like a life sentence when you're a teenager.And since I was neither athletic nor academic, I pretty much fell into the latter category. (Teens; if you're reading this: Labels don't stick! No matter which one is bestowed upon you.)

Post college, I coveted unattainable labels like Halston, Gucci and de la Renta. I know. Deep.

Today I find myself obsessed with yet another type of label. Yes, you guessed it. If you read my last post, you know that I really goofed by failing to read a food label, and after confessing my faux pas to the brilliant (and thankfully compassionate) Sage lab technologists Mark and Dorothy, I received the following email:

Subject Line: The Misadventures of "Olive  Oyl"
Dear Audrey,
After an extended coversation with my colleague the VERDICT is in!We are certain that you have learned your lesson regarding label reading "after the fact" and that you will be even more diligent to follow this through to the "Better End", we recommend that you Press On and if need be maybe reintroduce that food a little later during the "Challenge Phase".
Keep on keeping on! 
The Lab.

Is that smart or what? Why didn't I think of that? Okay,don't answer that.I'm just thankful that I dodged another bullet. (If I keep this up I may have to start wearing Kevlar.)

As I near the end of my third week of Avoidance, I have learned at least one thing (besides actually reading the labels before you eat). When it comes to labels, less is definitely more. The fewer ingredients the less chance you have of messing up. 

If it reads like 'War and Peace" put it back on the shelve, back in the fridge or back in the pantry. 

Wherever you found it, just walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment