Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Out of the Frying Pan

Within the last 2 days I took a triumphant leap out of the frying pan and did a nose dive straight into the proverbial fire. 


Still reeling from my icing episode I consulted with the experts at the lab. After eying me suspiciously (can you blame them?) they assured me that if indeed it was just a smidgen of icing, I'm okay. Here's a quote. "It's not only what you eat, but how much you eat that can trigger an allergy." Phew. Safe! Until last night.


Bet I know what you're thinking: Did I not learn my lesson? I did. Promise. I learned that when temptation is right under my newly functional nose, I need to walk away. Pronto.



Turns out I have more than one lesson to learnRead labels! Last night I made some rice pasta for dinner. It's good. Really. Especially when you add a little basil with Olivio. You know Olivio, right? It's a great tasting butter substitute made of olive oil, among other things. You see where I'm going with this, don't you? (Sigh)


About an hour after my small bowl of rice pasta, I get a just a touch of a stomach ache. No big deal. But just enough cause me to raise an eyebrow. "Uh Oh. What did I eat?" I checked the pasta box. Two ingredients: Rice Flour and Rice Bran Extract. All clear there. Then I checked the ingredients of Olivio. I'll spare you the entire label. But, Holy Cow! Besides olive oil, some of the other things are:buttermilk, lactic acid (milk) and soy. (Groan)


I'm guessing that reading labels works out a whole lot better it you do it before you eat. I have cooked with this stuff at least twice in the last two weeks, and have put it on rice pasta twice. And unlike the icing incident, we are talking a whole lot more than a thimble full. But if there are only trace amounts of the allergic ingredients, can I get away with this?


Today I go back to the lab and find out my fate. Do I press on with two weeks and two days behind me or do I have to start all over? (Whine)


Okay, either way I am determined to do this. And do it right. But in the meantime, does anyone know where I can find "The Idiot's Guide to the Avoidance Phase?"

No comments:

Post a Comment